Monday, July 4, 2011

Mayke se bandhi dor! - People who matter the most to me...

As promised last week I am back with my second blog for all you guys! This is all about my family and people in my family who matter the most to me and are important to me.



Let me begin by introducing my daadi and daadaji because if they were not there it would not have been possible for me to exist.

Jia (Daadaji) and Chaiji (Daadi) Darshanlal Thapar and Kailashdevi Thapar, got married when they were 11 and 5 respectively in Pakistan. They came to Mumbai after partition in the same way as it is shown in various movies that talk about Partition sitting on top of the Train. Sounds exciting but they say it was not that pleasant experience. After coming to Mumbai they had to start from scratch. Out of my grandparents, I have always been close to my Chaiji and for her she always had 3 sons and 3 daughters. I don't know yet whether it was good or bad but when she left me in 2005, I was the last one who feeded her dinner and then she asked me to put a blanket on her so that she could sleep. This incident has left me scared of giving food to anyone. Anyways, she was my best friend and we have been to a lot of places together having fun. I always thought that she could never leave me and go but I was wrong. I just have one regret that she could not meet my husband.

Moving on... to my Naana and Naani. Sujan Singh Thapar(Daddyji) and Amratdevi Thapar(Chaiji) same is the story about them coming from Abbottabaad, Pakistan to Mumbai. But they got married in Mumbai. They have 6 daughters and 1 son. Here I am close to Daddyji but lately after my daadi's death I started getting closer to Chaiji too. Their's is a unique couple....sweet, loving...but they also fight and argue a lot. Daddyji is still wondering, when he was so educated they why did he contribute so much to the Indian Population.

Now comes the turn of their Kid's and my parents.Mahendra Thapar and Nirmal Thapar... they were the eldest kids in their families'. Being neighbors they knew each others families right from their childhood. Ma is strict disciplinarian and Pa is a relaxed human being. I am their eldest daughter, and the most pampered and loved. When I was in college all my juniors used to call my parents and asked them how did they manage to have a daughter like me :) and some of them actually thought that they should get Bravery Award for being my parents. I always took them for granted as to whatever I need is their responsibility as they have given birth to me but today here on this forum I thank them for everything. I am what I am today because of them. This is all after I am so far away from them here in Delhi in a new house, new environment, new surrounding.

Then comes Behni (Drishti Wasan)... if someone tries to find out our actual relation then they would be surprised to know that we are very very very far off related but love and affection that we both share is very very very close. To me she is my daughter, sister, niece, best friend, daadimaa, mumma, everything that possibly she can be. I have seen her since she was born and have taken care of her since she was 40 days old. Today she is 9 and in class4 but for me she is still that baby. We both think that our day is not complete until we talk on the phone and talk about what all she did during her day. She is my spy in Mumbai who keeps me updated with all the Gossips and Happenings there. When it comes to daadimaa talks, behni is on top of the list, don't know where she gets all those fundas. Behni has been an integral part of my life and family right from the beginning and that is the reason my mummy papa say that they have 3 daughters and her parents think that they have 2 daughters and 1 son. She is really adorable and the most cute thing about her is her usage of certain words like gurudwara is dugaara, madraasi is mardaasi, mehmaan is nemaan etc. My sister shweta and Behni are the biggest enemies in the world, they just cannot stand each other. Behni is very biased when it comes to me then whether I am wrong or right she is always there for me, and this is the very reason everyone gets annoyed. But for me she is always right, she is the one who can say anything, advise anything and do anything to me. I always strive to fulfill whatever she desires and now Hubby is also that caring and loving towards her.

This was all about my family in short as if I started to write about everyone then it would take me days but still I will try to cover everyone at some time....

Do read and provide your feedback so that I can improve on my writing.

Take Care, God Bless....

Cheers!
Karuna

6 comments: